Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Christmas Mayhem

Maybe "Mayhem" isn't the right word, but the whole season is still kind of fresh with me, so it still feels like it was chaotic...but it a wonderful way.  That's confusing, but so is my life.

This was year #40 for reading this exact book.  Shawn spiced it up a little by wearing his Santa suit.  We all thought it was pretty funny.

On Christmas morning I always take a picture of them moving the moose to the 25 on our wall countdown.  Then I tease them mercilessly about if Santa left anything for them downstairs.  I just about stirred them into a frenzy as you can see by this picture.  They were ready to RUN down the stairs!

Stockings are their favorites!


I was so good, I got TWO stockings!  My santa really really loves me.  

This year I made the girls prairie dresses and aprons.  There costumes were pretty straight forward and easy to make.  It just required fabric for days...so much fabric.  But, it was so worth it to see there faces when they opened their boxes.

I made Levi a coat with tails, per his request.  He is now a full "London Boy."  This is his title made up by himself.  This coat.  People.  This coat.  I used a pattern company that I've never used before.  They were expecting me to be FAR more experienced than I was.  But as usual, I learned A TON by teaching myself to make this jacket.  I spent a LOT of nights fretting over this and walking away coming back.  Crying.  Swearing.  Ok I didn't really swear out loud.  But, lo and behold, the moment of truth came and he tried the jacket on and....and ...and .....IT FIT LIKE A GLOVE!  Not only did it fit, but he absolutely LOVES it!  I hope this stays in our family until his kids are wearing it!  

After spending a little time with our Christmas gifts, we loaded up the car and headed to Tyler.  First stop was my parents house, where true mayhem ensued.  I wouldn't want it any other way.   It was loud and rowdy and wonderful and dinner was PERFECT!  


We also spent time at Barbara's house.  This was the first Christmas without grandma.  It was still wonderful to be together, but someone was definitely missed.  The cousins completely took over her part of the house and played endlessly.  Emily came up with the Saran Wrap, like at Thanksgiving, but this time MONEY was involved.  It was serious!  And she made it a challenge!  It was a lot of fun, and I say that mostly because I got a lot of the money.  Ruthlessly.   Only one dollar was harmed in the playing of this game.  I got a little to rough.  But I still got it so that's what matters.

We also headed to Paul and Carolyn's for food and relaxing.  It felt so good just to lay back and chill on my phone for a while, as many of the grandkids invaded Carolyn's closet.  This has become a tradition.  
And with that, we check another family Christmas off.  It was wonderful.  And, I'm glad it's over.  It did feel way too short this year....maybe next year will feel longer!  Time to start planning! ha!

No comments: