Okay, let's see if I can do the last two weeks justice. We left Saturday, July 1st and had an easy drive. For the first week of camp, the weather was GORGEOUS! It was cold and rainy and I was feeling great. It was just such a relief to wake up to 50 degree weather and lots of rain. There was enough rain to raise the burn ban and that really says something. In the first week, some of our best memories were hanging out with Uncle Chad and Aunt Lesley and going to visit our lot. If you didn't know, last summer Shawn and I, and Chad and Lesley went in together and purchased a 99 year lease on a beautiful piece of land near Blue Haven. We look forward to building a cabin maybe in the next 5-10 years! Keep that in mind when you think of throwing away that old but decent piece of furniture or that appliance that works but you don't want anymore!
The second week was a little bit of a different story....at least for me. On Monday of the 2nd week the rain quit. It got hot....really hot....like 85 degrees in our cabin during the day. I just felt like I couldn't get away from it and I couldn't seem to get comfortable anywhere I went. Sleep wasn't too great either once it got really warm. But, Shawn and Elle were still living it up. Shawn got to go on the "swing" which is sort of like a mini sky coaster you see at Six Flags. He tried to get Elle to go but she wasn't into it. She got to play in the sand a lot more the 2nd week and I think that was her highlite. Every time we went by the sand and swingset she said "I want to fwing on my tummy!" We also drove to the top of Johnson Mesa during the second week. It's about a 6 mile drive and 1,000 feet up from camp. Less than a mile from the top on that very secluded road....the tire blew out in the vehicle we were driving. No cell phone reception....no ability to communicate with anyone....bear sighting a few days earlier on this same road....a fun adventure. Lesley went with us so while I preoccupied Elle and tried to stay in the shade, Lesley read the instruction manual on how to change a flat and Shawn tried to change it. It was funny to me but no everyone saw the humor. Shawn, our hero, eventually got it all worked out and we finished our way to the top and got a beautiful view to boot! My highlite was getting a suprise baby shower from my friends there. I got quite a few cute outfits and baby stuff and even a little bit of money. They even bought cookies for refreshments. Elle got a few things too as a big sis. She got a book called "Big Sister Now" and I think in the 1 week that we've had it we have read it about 10 times. She loves it because I change the names to Elle and Ava so maybe some of it is sinking in a little better.
My birthday was the day before we left and I had gotten numerous cards and packages from friends and family so that was nice. I convinced Shawn not to make me stand in a chair in the dining hall this year and have the guy counselors sing to me so that was nice to not worry about. That same night, we had the staff talent show. To my surprise, my husband and Chad performed a skit together. Chad came out lip-singing the male part to "Come What May" from the movie Moulin Rouge. When the female singers voice came on here came Shawn in a dress and wig lip-singing to Nicole Kidman's voice. I have never been so proud of my hubbie in all my life. They were such a hit and it was hilarious! Although we now have Elle in counseling, I think it was well worth it.
We left the next morning and not a minute too soon in my mind. I was tired, hot, and ready for my own room, bed, and bathroom! The trip back felt a little slower and Elle whined most of the 13 hours back. Then when we got up Saturday morning, she had a fever of 102.8. Not a great way to start the weekend after being SO tired. We fought the fever and buy Sunday afternoon it was finally gone but the whine stuck around. Today, she is perfectly fine and I think she had a cold, which I'm still holding on to. We registered at Target today for Miss Ava and I had fun. If you want to check out my registry it's at Target.com. Okay, so that's our last two weeks in a nut shell.
Here are a few things that happened here while we were gone. 1. Our elders hired a new preacher: Randy Daw from Tyler 2. Shawn's truck got broken into and a window smashed while on the church parking lot 3. They towed the truck to our house 4. Our house was inspected for how bad the foundation is and leveling work is set for August 3rd or there abouts which means most likely no working on the nursery till then (If you know me, that will be a serious hardship for me to wait till I have 6 weeks until due date to begin nursery...I had Elle's done when I was 5 months preggie!) Pics are coming in the next few entries.
Monday, July 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Sounds like a good 2 weeks. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Did Elle use her canteen at camp?
I don't know whats better, the "fwinging", "fimmin", or "pullin"? I hope you took her some chocolate pullin to camp!
Wow, you're a lot more detailed than I was. I had already (conveniently?) forgotten about the rendition of "Come What May" by Chad and Shawn. Although you touched on Elle's reaction, you forgot to mention that she was in tears and repeating "Where's Daddy?" and "I can't like that" while he was up there. Traumatized much? :)
Post a Comment