Tuesday, January 01, 2008

What happened last year

No, I'm not going to run down everything that happened in our lives in 2007. I'm going to tell you about what happened yesterday...last year. (As corny as that is I love talking about last year and next year on new years eve and day) A week ago we made plans with our young marrieds group to go over to one of their house for New Years Eve, bring appetizers, take plane rides (!) (the guy owns a 2 seater and was going to take us up in the afternoon), play games and shoot off loads of fireworks. I was so excited because I love New Year's Eve and never get to do anything fun. So we got Shawn's dad and his wife to do some babysitting and we were set to go. So, on Saturday the 29th, the couple that was going to host it called and canceled...wife was sick, runny nose, fever like my kids. I was so bummed but at least we still had a babysitter and we'd be able to go do something together without kids.....except that the babysitters had to cancel also....my kids were sick and Paul's wife, Carolyn, can't be around sick people because she takes a medication that lowers her immune system. So, we go from big plans, fun times, to what are we going to do now......I was pretty bummed since I only had 2 days to figure something out and 2 sick kids to take care of. With some encouragement from my mother in law :), I decided to make the best of what I had. So here is our night in pictures.Start off right...caffeine to keep us awake hopefully till midnight.

Enough with the pics....let's eat!

The menu includes: smokies wrapped in bacon (again!), assortment of fruit with a delicious fruit dip, eclairs, granny smith apples, cheese, french loaf bread with butter and honey!, chips and homemade Salsa (thanks for the recipe Kimberely!), and stuffed jalapenos. It was truly DELICIOUS!

Time to do sparklers...we had a burn ban in effect so this was as fireworked up as we got.

Then, after we put the girls to bed, we did our new favorite hobby, it's wild and daring and not for the faint of heart...worked a crossword together...we finished it but it took longer than usual because America's Funniest Home Videos was on and we kept watching that instead of concentrating. One day we might actually be pretty smart from all this word power.

We watched a movie called Scoop...sort of like a car wreck, so bad and don't want to watch but can't stop? It was okay. We also watched a DVD of UFC fights....first few were okay but sort of boring. We watched the NYC ball drop at 11 our time (they should work that to Central time) so we can see it our time. Then waited and waited and watched more UFC and then counted down to midnight! We made it!!! First time in years to make it to midnight!!! We toasted to 2008 with our annual Welch's grape juice in the same cups we've had since we got married. Then Shawn wanted to keep watching a few more fights but I was tired. I headed up the stairs, very happy about how the night went, but just a wee bit bummed that I hadn't gotten to see or do any fireworks. I walked into the scrapbook room which has 2 windows that overlook a field and then you can just see miles out towards the horizon....and guess what....I was treated to a 15 minute fireworks display from all along the horizon, near and far. I could see people all over Williamson County popping fireworks and I was SO excited! I had the biggest goofiest smile on my face the whole time. So, after all this, as I laid in bed getting ready to doze, I realized that for 2008 my resolution is to make the best of every situation....I don't always do that. I tend to mope and complain and get more upset the more I think about it....so I'm going to be my families cheerleader (not the snot kind) and work on making the best of a situation! Enjoy this first day of 2008 and I hope this is your best year yet!

5 comments:

erin said...

Y'all are so festive. We watched "The Office" on DVD and went to bed. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Lauren Hope said...

you're awesome. great resolution. and you look beautiful...love your hair growing out!

emma said...

Hey erin, thanks for the idea...I just put all 3 seasons on my amazon wish list. LOVE THAT SHOW

Anonymous said...

Good Job Emma. I am proud of you for making the best of a situation and pressing forward. Happy New Year! Love you,

Anonymous said...

That was cute Emma...you should be a writer for the newspaper editorials! I stayed up late too but Dad was sick so he went to bed real early. Oh well, I got caught up on movie watching and finished a hand project I was working on. Love to you all too for 2008. LOVE YOU BUNCHES! Mom