Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Challenge

So yesterday, I had to do the big grocery shopping trip. I go about every 2 weeks and get enough food to prepare about 12 meals. Lately I have been feeling really uninspired....and then pinterest came along. Many of you reading this know what it is, and I had heard about it a lot, but never really checked it out. I stumbled upon it about a week ago and immediately it's like fly to fly paper. I'm hooked. And to bring all this back around, I found some great, simple, savory sounding recipes with ingredients I wasn't too scared of and so I began printing recipe after recipe off. Now, I have a 2 week menu that ROCKS and I'm actually back to being excited to look on the menu list and pick what I'll be making! So I say all this to say, I will now list ingredients that I'm almost ashamed to say, I bought for the first time in my life, yesterday.


1. celery (really!)

2. cumin (someone needs to buy me a fully stocked spice rack for Christmas--it's time to get daring!) lol

3. coconut milk

4. coconut flakes

5.egg roll wrappers

6.sweet chili sauce

7.panko bread crumbs

8. sausage (like the kind that you cook in a skillet that looks like reg. hamburger meat

9. frozen chopped spinach



I know some of you are reading this in horror that I've never bought these products. Oh well, gotta start somewhere. So now the challenge.....what have you never bought at the store??? Maybe it's time to figure out a recipe that incorporates an ingredient you've never used!

9 comments:

Angie said...

Adam and I did that cleanse a few months ago and a spice I never knew I loved is "Cardamom." Holy Moly, it is SOOOO good in a breakfast smoothie with berries, almond milk, almond butter, and a little water. YUM!

Lesley said...

I have bought all those, but there are thousands of things that I need to try. But celery? Really? Eh, Chad would be happy if I never bought celery again. I'm assuming you're making eggrolls or potstickers or something from scratch. Good luck! Now you need to post your recipes.

Lesley said...

P.S. I got an "invite" to pinterest, but have yet to join, since you have to sign in with fb or twitter and I don't have either one of those right now. Maybe I should just start a twitter account just so I can sign in to pinterest.

Lesley said...

Okay, last comment on this one. Once you start using panko to bread stuff, you'll never go back to regular bread crumbs. In fact, I've got coconut chicken fingers in the oven right now that have a breading made w/ coconut flakes and panko...you should try it...yummo!

Jupers said...

Fun and fun and fun...love to read about my wonderful daughter and how she keeps her family together! I cannot believe you have never bought celery..it is your fav color! I love celery just cut up to eat alone (by itself)! ha love mom

TxJan said...

Okay, celery - really?? It is SO yummy cut into 4"-6" lengths and filled with such goodies as pimento cheese, cream cheese, any kind of cheese spread, salsa mixed with cream cheese or sour cream, guacamole, peanut butter, tuna or chicken or egg salad...the list is endless! Anyway, some things I have never bought and never will - eggplant and Brussel sprouts (my son loves them!). Yes, I have eaten them, but I will not buy them to serve in my home - yuk.

Just Me said...

personally i am shocked. How did you go all this time without these things??? Other than the coconut milk, we have most of this stuff all the time and eat it weekly. You are surprising!No sausage? or celery? or cumin???or egg roll wrappers??? wow! But you are going to get to do some fun experimentation! We had egg rolls last night...hope you have fun with your cooking!!!!

Faith said...

When I first got married, I used to go to the grocery store and just look for things I had never tried, then go home an figure out how to use them. Also, I started finding cookbooks that interested me, then essentially cooking right through them. Expanded our dinner selection, and it was exciting to cook each night, because it was all new!

Good luck with your experiments! Coconut milk is one of my favorite "weird" ingredients. :-) (Spicy coconut Thai curry....mmmmm.....)

Marci Campbell said...

I'm getting coconut milk and cardamom next time I buy groceries to try a curried meatball recipe that looks delish! But I've bought all the rest, I use cumin and panko all the time, they're so great in so many things :)