Monday, January 19, 2015

Three Day Weekends Make Me Happy

My heart has been bursting with joy.  Not only has the weather been magnificent after many cold dreary snowless days, but we got a wonderful 3 day weekend!  We used up every moment of it enjoying being together as a family and soaking in some much needed Vitamin D!

We have been wanting to go to our friend Craig's house since Christmas break, but with sickness and weather it just hasn't happened, until this past weekend.  We were finally able to shoot guns and arrows at the pumpkins we've had since early OCTOBER!  Wow did we get our money's worth out of those pumpkins!
I sure do love to shoot big guns....note to self....bring ear plugs next time.  YIKES!

Ava is getting better and more confident with her bow and arrow.  She landed a few arrows right into that pumpkin and we all were so excited for her!

After everyone had shot as much as they wanted, Shawn took the shotgun and blasted the pumpkin to bits!  It sure was fun.  We also practiced with the handgun that we would actually use for self defense in our home.  I sure hope I never have to scare anyone away in real life with that thing!

So I was in charge of packing the food.  I remembered every single tiny detail...except one.  I forgot the hot dogs themselves.  Yep.  Fortunately Craig's son was willing to drive all over the city to find us some hotdogs.  Just making sure my family knows I'm only 98% perfect.  

 But I sure didn't forget the most important stuff; S'mores.  Shawn had given me a dark chocolate and orange bar for Christmas.  I hadn't eaten much of it yet, so I took that as our chocolate and it made those S'mores AMAZING!!!  Best I've ever had.  I have been craving roasted marshmallows for weeks and had been using a skewer over the gas burner in my kitchen for a few days now and it just wasn't doing the trick.  These marshmallows over the fire hit the spot perfectly!  I still want more, but it's not exactly easy to build a fire in my back yard....note #2 to self....save money for a fire pit.

Moving on to other news....this is happening...Wednesday!  

Today we took the kids to a movie...a rare event simply because it's SO EXPENSIVE.  Even for a matinee it was $33.50 for our family to see a movie.  We saw Paddington.  I have to say, I really didn't care to see the movie, but because it was filmed in London, I went to watch the "background."  It was a funny good family movie, but it did make me miss London.

On that note, this just got real.  Shawn and I have been tossing ideas back and forth about our 20th anniversary trip.  Yes, it's 4ish years away, but with huge trips like this, you have to slowly begin planning far in advance if you want to make it worth the money you spend!  That being said, we are going to go back to Europe but hope to visits countries west of France....such as Switzerland, Austria, The Netherlands and a few others hopefully.  If only we could be gone a month, I could visit all the places I wanted to.  It's an ambitious trip, which is why I am beginning to read up on it now!  We are so very excited about this trip!

Lastly, we took advantage of the warmer weather and finished a LOOONG overdue project!  Remember this dresser we found a million years ago on the side of the road?  It was beautiful....except that someone in it's previous home had scratched a bad word deep into the top of the dresser.  I had the vision and Shawn had the elbow grease.  This weekend after having sanded it months ago, he finally painted it and I painted the handles and it found a new life and new home in the girls' room.  They were in desperate need of more clothes storage so I gave Ava this dresser, gave Elle Levi's dresser, and gave Levi the girls' long dresser.  Everyone won!  Everyone has more room for their clothes!  Altogether this project cost us about $50 in paint and supplies.  I wish I could have painted it green, but it would have ended up making the girls room look too busy with colors...there are already plenty of colors in that room! Plus it also now perfectly matches the other dresser that was taken from Levi's room.  We are very happy to be able to reuse something we found for free in such a useful way!

The after!

No comments: