Thursday, August 24, 2006

Alarm Clock

As you know we are getting down to the wire on baby preparations. We are done with all things we can think of and now it's just little tiny things that we are working on. There are 19 days or less left until Ava arrives. I am dying to see how she looks! I am much more laid back this time about caring for a baby, but I'm a little more nervous about recovering from a surgery...I've done this before and now I know what it's like plus I have a 2 1/2 year old that doesn't understand. But I will have help for quite a while and should be fine as long as recovery goes smoothly. Anyway, we are planning like I was saying and one of the little things we are working on is getting Elle to get out of bed on her own, come open her door in the morning and leave her room without me coming in to get her. That will be helpful since I may be just beginning to feed Ava when Elle gets up in the morning and I won't be able to go and get her for 20 minutes or more. So, we bought her an alarm clock and set it for 8:05 am so that music would start playing at that time. We have done it the past 2 days and the first day she still called for me saying "Mommy, open da door for me!" or "MOMMY!" over and over again until I stood outside her door and said, "you can come out". A few seconds later she popped right out of that room and was so proud. This morning she didn't say anything until the music went off, then called for me a few times. I yelled from the living room, "You don't need my permission to get up!" and a few seconds later she came bounding in the room. She feels like such a big girl being able to get out of bed on her own and open the door in the morning. Now naps are a different story. She knows she has to stay in bed until I come and get her and that's fine with her. I am so proud of the fact that she is gaining little bits of indepence but at the same time it's sad because it is just chipping away at her need for me! I know all the mommies, young and old reading this know exactly what I mean. Anyway, that's my ramble for the day. Maybe tomorrow she won't even call for me at all and will finally figure out that she can get up as soon as she hears the music!

3 comments:

-Megan J W- said...

awww poor elle...only 2 1/2 and she already has an alarm clock. getting up at 7 everyday is killing me!! so hard to get up everymorning. me and my roommate both are looking forward to sleeping in saturday!!

p.s. in case you are interested, i started one of these blogger things for my chemistry class becaues if we keep one we get extra credit (yay for extra credit)

Emily said...

Let me tell you I wish that was a problem I had. If Riley would just stay in bed my life would be so much easier.

Anonymous said...

I love listening to Emma and Emily share about Elle and Riley. If we could put the two girls together we would have one perfect child. Just think in a few years you both will be laughing and crying and wondering where did all the time go. In a few years the problems will be girlfriends and boys. Stay close to the Lord.