Thursday, November 09, 2006
Dr. Appt
I took Ava all by myself this morning to her 2 month appt. I was nervous from the moment I woke up. I don't like shots at all. Well after getting her undressed and waiting 30 minutes with a cold baby that was very sleepy, dr. finally came in! I guess it was a busy morning. Anyway, he looked at her and said she looked too pale and ordered a blood test to check for low Iron. It was a finger prick test but it was horrible. Her fingers were too cold and so it was extremely hard to get enough blood out. Lots of screaming....very sad. Test came back fine thankgoodness so that was one thing to mark off the list. Next he measured and weighed her. I think she was around 23 inches long and weighed 10 lb. 13 oz. That is not good because that means in 3 weeks she has only gained 8 oz. That's not enough. I am concerned now for real about her weight. After doing the blood test and seeing also that she hasn't gained much, he decided to hold off on the shots he was going to do today. He asked me to supplement formula for the next 10 days and he rescheduled me for Nov 20th to check weight and hopefully see that she's doing better. Also she will get shots then too. He just didn't want to add anything else to whatever is going on with her right now. We need to get her to gain weight. So, I am now suspose to continue breastfeeding and then supplement with formula after I finish which should be interesting since I can't barely get her to eat when she's breastfeeding so how is she going to be hungry enough to eat after I've fed her??? I am flying by the seat of my pants with no controls to hold onto so the next 10 days should be interesting. I'll keep you up to date as things happen. Pray she starts gaining weight and we figure out how we're going to feed her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Everything will be fine. Thanks for the report.
You are always in our prayers, but we will pray espesially that Ava will gain some weight.
Poor thing. I hate those finger pricks, and with such tiny fingers I'm sure it wasn't pleasant for Ava. We're praying for you guys!
You'll all be in our prayers! I'm so sorry you've had such a rough week! Hopefully the next few days will be nice and peaceful for you.
I know you are concerned but I feel like she is fine because she looks so good! But I am "just a nurse"! Call me and let me know how it goes..Mom
Post a Comment