Thursday, January 10, 2008

Camera OCD

Before

I think it is well established with those that know me, that I am a freak about taking pictures. I thought I'd let you in on how I keep it all organized...make this the year that you resolve to capture ALL those moments that aren't your typical picture taking times because you know a week from now you won't remember them! My process is :

1. after taking pictures I head to the computer and download them into one of three files: Ava, Elle or Family/Grown-Up Fun. In each of those folders it's sorted by year and then by month.

2. After a few months, I go through all of the folders and pick out all pictures I'd like to have printed and burn them all to CD's. This is the time consuming part, but in the scheme of things, it's a few nights of not watching TV after the girls go to bed and working on burning CD's instead.

3. Next head to Walmart and be prepared to sell off a body organ to pay for prints, even at 12 cents a digital print, it adds up fast! (don't wait too long in between getting photos printed and it won't seem like such a heavy burden on the wallet....maybe I should follow my own advice.)

4. Next I bring them all home and begin sorting them into stacks by event, leaving a misc. stack for pics I can't figure out. Then I label the stacks I know of, with the date it occured.

5. Here comes another less time consuming but tedious part. For the misc. stack, I go through each folder on the computer looking for the pics in the misc stack, pulling out pics that match each month and label those misc. stacks by month.

6. Last I line them all up in calendar order and grab a few photo albums and start sliding them in. As I go, I stick the label that was on the top pic of each stack in the photo album so I know what date to write when I go back.



Are you thoroughly confused and exhausted yet? I am. I just finished doing the above steps to 732 pictures.
After

10 comments:

Alissa said...

crazy.....

Lauren Hope said...

i did not understand any of that....:)

emma said...

so glad I could leave you baffled and confused.

Shawn said...

I love it. We have tons of memories in pictures because of your hard work. I love you.

Emily said...

good job!

Anonymous said...

Emma, I wish I had your energy to keep up with all of that. You will be glad that you did it. You know how we look to go back and look at all those pictures.

Anonymous said...

Boy I really passed this on to you in spades!! Love, Mom

PS Good job and you have surpassed the master picture taker (me)!

Lauren Hope said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren Hope said...

i meant to say too that i wish i could be as awesome as you...
and, your children will love you.
i have like 4 pictures of me as a baby since heather was the coveted 1st born. and my mom has like maybe 1 pic of her as a baby!! (and you'd think since she was the 4th child and ONLY girl she'd have some clout in the picture world - nope!.) at any rate, the kids will love you...and your husband obviously already does. :)

The Montandon's said...

I think I'll just continue to pop in a cd.