***OOPS! Shawn just informed me that the medicine we are giving Elle is Allegra, not Zyrtec.
Well there's good news and bad news. The good news is, she doesn't have pink eye. The bad news is that is costs $125 to figure out it was bad allergies (most likely). The peditrician told Shawn that her eyes were like that because she had broken blood vessels from the coughing. They are mostly yellow now from where the redness was which indicates that it is blood in her eye which is dissipating. The medicine we were giving her wasn't really clearing up the issue which now makes sense. The pedi thinks that she has allergies most likely and gave us a months supply of Zyrtec to try for that. She also wanted Elle to take a 5 day antibiotic in case it was whooping cough, which she's been vaccinated for and we feel is unnecessary. We are going to give the Zyrtec a chance for a few days and if it doesn't start getting better, then we'll do the antibiotic which like I said I don't think is necessary. After looking up signs and symptoms of whooping cough, she just doesn't match that. She doesn't have a severe cough and it's not really persistent. She coughs more at bedtime but usually stops once falling asleep so I just don't think that's what it is, plus she doesn't make the weird noise when coughing that's associated with whooping cough. So, we'll see what happens. Most likely, she has allergies that just need to be gotten under some kind of control....we do live in the allergy capital of the whole freakin USA so this shouldn't really surprise us. Anyway, just keeping you up to date with our wonderful world of phelm.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
well, i'm glad to see it's not pink eye, sorry to see it's costing you so much money! i'll keep you all in my prayers for lots of health and well being. love you all!
At least you know now. Zyrtec is over the counter now though, so if it works you cannot claim it on insurance. You might want to see how much it will cost compared to an alternative prescription. They may be the same. I hope it works.
Oh, and I did not think that it looked like pink eye. Pink eye makes your eye crusty and gross. Which makes it ichy. That is some serious coughing though.
I thought the same thing Emily did. It did not look like pink eye. Pink eye does not get red like Elle's eyes. Don't worry about the money. The Lord provides and Elle's is worth more than $125 - she is priceless. love you
I feel for you and the allergies - we have to to deal with that for Ethan and it is NO FUN...especially for them. I hope you can get her some relief. He also had whooping cough when he was about 9 months old...and you're right on track with your thinking...I think you would definitely know if that was the culprit because the sound is unmistakable. Hang in there!
Post a Comment