I have always loved April Fools Day. Growing up, actually, I hated it. My dad would tell us we had a cockroach on us, which was totally possible, and we'd break out into hysteria only to realized that he was playing a joke on us...and he'd do that same thing all day long, and we'd fall for it every time. But, as I'm now the parent of gullible little humans, it's way more fun. Actually since two of my kids were due in early April, I always wished so bad that I could have had them on April 1st. I remember crying when April 2nd came along and still no Elle. Anyway, last year was epic and began what I hope is a long tradition of attempting to fool my kids with some sort of food. So, the set up is this. Ava and I were going to make cupcakes together today, just because. 
They turned out so pretty and for extra yum, I poked a hole in the middle of them and poured cherry juice in before icing them.
Then while Shawn had the girls upstairs this afternoon, I made identical meatloaf cupcakes with tinted mashed potato icing. 
Here I am being sneaky and "icing" the cupcakes.
Identical looks....very different flavors!
Believe it or not, this is the meatloaf/mashed potato cupcakes!
When everything was set up, I called them all down and said that life was short, so we were eating dessert first! 
"Oh darling children!!! Come to the table. Mommy has decided that you are right! You should get to eat dessert first! Absolutely!"
Their eyes just lit up. They just couldn't believe that I was actually going to let them eat cupcakes for dinner!!!!
Next came the eating of the cupcake.
At this point, she began spitting her icing out and was getting very upset. She pushed her plate far away and declared in a very upset voice that the cupcakes tasted horrible!
This is Ava believing that she is witnessing her sister losing her mind. I can just imagine her thinking "What has happened to her? She thinks cupcakes are gross. She has officially lost it."
In true Ava form, she said they tasted great! Ha! She could tell something was off, but I think she wanted cupcakes so bad that she didn't want to say they didn't taste good! Well, we finally let them in on the joke and I'll have to say, this year it was Elle who we got good! She wasn't too happy about it, but we did promise that if they ate this cupcake, she'd be rewarded with a better one after! They both thought it was pretty funny!
As my final act of fooling tonite, I took an empty Coke bottle, filled it with water, added a ridiculous amount of red, green, blue, and yellow food coloring and came up with the EXACT color of Coke. I then screwed the top on and put it in the fridge for Shawn and waited. About 9 tonite, he strolled in the kitchen for a swig of his Coke and his face was PRICELESS! What was even better was that he couldn't even figure out what in the world was wrong with his Coke until when we went to spit it out, and it was a greenish color. It was wonderful!!! Shawn is very hard to trick and this was just amazingness. I would have gotten a picture, but he would have been suspicious if I had had my camera out. Anyway, it was the best part of the whole day because FINALLY I got him!!!

7 comments:
Two qualities I love about you the most, fun and creative!
Now that's funny. I need to teach your family the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." They are truly gullible if they fall for anything on April 1st ever again!
You are so funny!! I am now already looking forward to next year!!! I made Ben read this, just like I made him read last years!:) So fun!! Our youth minister's birthday is APril 1, and I am sooo going to do the meatloaf cupcakes next year!:) Thanks for the laugh today!:)
Girl, you did a stupendous job "fooling" your family. I loved all of it!
Your blog is so cool! I need you to tell me how to do this. Of course, any time I spend away from classwork right now - like reading your blog and signing on to fb - is not good! As soon as I graduate in May, I start my Master's. But...that would be a good thing to blog about!
Anyway, great job!! - JanB
Funny!
LOVE it! Great job, Emma! I was beyond thrilled when Major was born on April 1st. It makes for a super fun birthday every year.
and this is why you are my best friend! so agree with shawn - love you so much, and those are two reasons why.
can you play an april fools on me next year?? :)
Post a Comment