Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Weekend Update

Saturday morning, we had a nice slow start to the day.  One by one the kids started waking up and I let them climb in bed with me and watch cartoons.  This doesn't happen all that often because they don't usually all wake up around the same time on Saturday and usually they head downstairs to eat breakfast.  I asked Shawn to get a picture of it to remember these sweet times. 

On Sunday I decided that I needed to work on my issues of control and perfectionist tendencies so I had a group of girls come over and work on a scrapbook that they will submit to be judged for the upcoming Lads to Leaders/Leaderettes convention that our youth from church are participating in.  All I was allowed to do was give suggestions and provide them with the materials they needed.  I also got to use the cutting board....but that was it.  It really wasn't bad at all to let go and let their creativity do the talking!  Really most days it's not that hard for me since I did teach middle school and high school art for a year....you can't just jerk the paintbrush or pencil out of those kids hands.  Anyway, it turned out to be so much fun and as usual I got a lot of joy from providing the outlet for kids to explore their creative side.  We got a lot done on the scrapbook and I'm looking forward to the next time the girls come over.  We still have quite a ways to go and the convention is Easter weekend...which will be here faster than you know it! 

 
We also had a marvelous time on our MLK holiday, but I purposefully didn't take my camera so that I could just be in the moment.  It was a wonderful day with about 3 miles of hiking, a picnic in the backyard, cleaning up the flowerbeds with the kids,  followed by a girl scouts meeting that evening :)

No comments: