Wednesday, April 01, 2015

April Fool's Day

I learned something new about my kids today.  #1 They aren't afraid of spiders unless they are in their cereal.  #2 If they see cat poop in a kitty litter tub, their inclination is to touch it and try eating it. #3 They will make great April Foolers one day.

The day started with me hiding spiders under the kids' cereal.  Ava had the best reaction since she thought she was getting a raisin on her spoon and instead it was a tarantula.  Elle thought she'd gotten away with no spider until she got a spoonful of cereal and pulled up her own bug.  There were also bugs in the silverware drawer, a scorpion by the milk and bugs in their sandwiches.



For the main event, I made a kitty litter cake.  The kids had been talking yesterday, ironically, about the front yard smelling like cat poop and so I left a dirty kitty litter tub right at the front door so that when they came home from school this would be what they saw on the front porch.

I thought it looked so realistic!!! (and without realizing it, I made the first letter of each of their first names with the "poop!") 

I watched them from the front window as they approached.  I was laughing so hard that I was worried I wouldn't be able to act disgusted and surprised when I opened the door to let them in.  

To both Shawn and my amazement, after a split second of them trying to figure out what was going on, they went right up to the "poop" and touched it and then immediately picked it up and took a BITE OUT OF THE POOP!!  What the what? 

Obviously I have messed my kids up royally by playing tricks on them too often...to the point where they are picking up suspected cat poop and believing it to be candy.  So, we had to have a quick family meeting about not picking up animal poop and trying to eat it.  The things we never thought we'd have to actually teach someone....

And here's the kids with their own personal pieces of poop.

Then for dinner, I knew I was not going to be able to trick them again so we just added eyes to the pancakes and spiders to the scrambled eggs, which they got a kick out of.

And I found these fun straws at Walmart and added them to the dinner fun.

Speaking of fools, these guys were feeling pretty foolish after dinner and all got dressed up and marched around the house loudly chanting in a very southern accent "I fight fer my country!"  I have no idea where that came from what it was amusing nonetheless. 
Happy April Fools!!!

No comments: