April is a month FULL of stuff! Maybe it's not really that full, but when you have kids with birthdays within two days of each other, it feels like crazy town. Friday began the festivities with celebrating Levi's 6th birthday.
Donuts for breakfast, of course!
Then with 5 minutes to spare before leaving for school, he got to try out one of his birthday presents.
We ate lunch with him too, and then turned right back around 2 hours later and brought a treat for his class. These are the BEST Rice Krispie Treats I've ever made!
After his little treat with his classmates, we picked Elle up a little early and headed on a camping adventure at Palmetto State Park. It was awesome!
We were able to borrow a friends pop up camper and this was a game changer for camping. This was our first time to stay in one and we are sold on it! After setting it up and getting a fire going, we let Levi open the rest of his presents.
Then we let him have a Gigi's cupcake and candles to blow out.
Dinner was great! It was good ol' hobo dinners. I think I've figured out the key to those things tasting good....lots of BBQ sauce.
Later we roasted marshmallows and I tried out this recipe for a delicious spin on S'Mores. It was so so good...and I can make this at home too! Then we put the kids to bed about 9....not a peep from them once they got in bed. We were able to sit out by the fire for about an hour and just soak in the night sounds and the big bright stars.
Good morning sunshine! Seriously this is so much better than tent camping!!!!!
It was pretty chilly all night and when we all woke up Levi immediately jumped into my bed to get warmed up. :)
Then it was time for breakfast!
This was the meal I was a little nervous about. I was trying a new recipe and using a cast iron biscuit maker that I bought just for this trip. New stuff all around so I really wanted it to turn out good.
Getting ready to see if this recipe is a keeper!
It was AWESOME! Everyone ate every bit of their breakfast!!! I made Campfire Breakfast Burgers and they were so so so good. Of course I add blackberry jelly instead of ketchup or whatever else the recipe suggested.
I did bring powdered donuts as backup in case I burned the biscuits or they stuck to the cast iron. Ava REALLY likes them...too much.
Then we shooed the kids away to dig in the dirt while we had campfire coffee. Okay we kept them around long enough to take our picture but then we shooed them.
This was our campsite. I truly think we had the absolute best site at the entire state park.
We needed to wash dishes between meals and I had actual eager helpers! Ava was the dryer.
Elle was the rinser and Levi was the runner, as you can see in this picture.
Then we explored the park. It's a mix between a swamp and a forest and it was beautiful. I can imagine that in the summer it might not be quite so fun to go there with the mosquitoes and humidity, but our weather was just right!
We saw "Watch for Snakes" signs everywhere and finally towards the end of our hike, Levi happened to look under this rock and said he saw a snake! I had to turn on my flash and zoom in to see if there really was and yep, there was! ewwww.
We headed back to our camp for lunch which was skillet nachos and they turned out great too! Then we tried Ritz cracker S'Mores. No one was really a big fan, but I thought they were pretty good.
And of course no campout of mine is complete without roasted Peeps!
We finished the trip with fishing down at the pond. Ava was the only one to catch a fish but we all had fun.
Sunday morning we celebrated Elle turning 12!
After church we headed to Elle's pick for lunch...Longhorn Steakhouse! After she finished her steak dinner for her birthday dessert she chose..key lime pie.
It was a busy and yet wonderful weekend. We made sweet family memories and watched my oldest and youngest grow to an age that I still can't believe.
































No comments:
Post a Comment