Friday, September 19, 2008

Blood, Sweat and Tears

I have a love/hate relationship with my sewing machine. I love it because I can make just about anything I want to. I hate it because there is usually blood, lots of sweat, and tears involved in making that "just about anything." Really...I usually prick my finger 3 or 4 times causing blood, and I soak at least one T-shirt in sweat trying to figure out how to follow the cruddy pictures, and tears is pretty self-explanatory...I cry because I'm frustarted and there's no one to turn to!!!(sometimes I cry when I'm done because I'm so glad it's over) Today, I started on my Rita Hayworth dress since I couldn't find one at any Goodwill and I didn't want to spend more than about $15 on it. Everything was going wonderfully on the dress until it was time to sew the last two side seams together. I decided to try it on first and see if it would even go around me (I was having premonitions that it wouldn't). Sure enough, I was about 1/2 inch short of fabric on both sides. I could put the sides together, but not overlap them to sew. I can not explain for those that don't sew, how unnerving it is to have a piece almost done....yet so far from finished! I had to pull out every bit of logic and mathematical ability I own to figure out how to make it fit me with what I had. A few magic tricks later and it's just about done! My house is now littered with material and pattern debris and my kids forgot what I looked like but by golly I am going to look like Rita Hayworth if it puts me in a mental hospital! I think I need to go to bed now.
In unrelated news, I went to a consignment sale that was going on this weekend to try to get Elle's fall/winter wardrobe. It was a bust as far as clothes go, but I did find them a few Christmas presents! I miss the consignment sale in Tyler....I may have to make plans now for the Spring sale.

1 comment:

Alissa said...

make sure you head over to the Mommy & Me consignment Sale on Oct. 4-5 in Austin. That one is usually pretty good! http://www.mommyandmesale.com/