Thursday, December 09, 2010

Camera Trick

Just playing with my camera, trying to create that effect where the lights behind an object look like big pretty circles...it's called bokeh. Thought I'd have show-n-tell while I'm at it and show you my newest little figure that Shawn got me this year. I sure do love it! Brings a smile to my face everytime I look at it.

6 comments:

Shawn said...

Cool picture!

Lesley said...

Cool...how'd you do that?

the campbell family said...

I second Lesley's comment...how do you do that? Pioneer Woman uses bokeh all the time, and I'm too lazy to read my camera's manual to figure it out. So, how about a little tutorial?

emma said...

from what I understand, you use a higher F stop, but I just shot without changing anything and it was great. I'm thinking if I went with a higher F stop (it was at 3.something) it would make the circles bigger. Part of the reason I didn't change my F stop was because I couldn't figure out how to without getting the book out and I couldn't find the book right away. lol

emma said...

Okay, follow this link to figure out the bokeh effect...I obviously have no idea what I"m talking about.
http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/photography-tutorials/must-get-christmas-pictures-before-the-tree-comes-down.html

Lesley said...

From what I understand about photography, the shallow depth of field actually comes from a lower f-stop number...which is limited by the kind of lens you have. So that is why I want to know exactly how you did this because I know we have the same lens and the lowest the f/stop will go is 3.5...is this little guy really far away from the tree? Usually to get this kind of shallow depth of field (and the bokeh you're talking about) you have to have a lens rated as low as f/2.8 or lower. It also has to do with how much you have zoomed in. The less you zoom, the shallower your DOF, meaning the blurrier the background is.

I liked the link you sent. That is a cool technique she used with the lights. But all of her lenses are f/1.8 and fixed focal length...I wish I had one of those. :)