Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas time = Sick time

We're going for a 3rd year in a row of sickness at Christmas time here. Lovely. Two years ago, I almost wiped out both of our families by unknowingly bringing them the gift of extreme stomach bug. Last year, I believe Elle was pretty sick for most of the winter with Cedar Fever. This year, I should be packed and leaving tomorrow with our little family. We have planned for about 2 months now to head to Arkansas this weekend to see one of the girls in our past youth group get married, as well as spend a little time with Shawn's sister, brother in law, and their kids, including 2 new babies. Well, to make a long story short, Elle has been sick on and off since last Thursday. Then Ava puked a lot on Tuesday. We somehow all managed to pull it together and get some family pictures on Tuesday evening. Everyone seemed to be doing well, and we figured we were done with it....until last night, or I guess it was actually this morning around 1 am. Elle puked all over herself, her mattress (that did not have a mattress cover, but does now!), and her pillow...and remember she's on the top bunk. Not quite so easy to clean up when it's way up there. Shawn was giving her a bath and I was getting another load of pukey stuff going. We got her situated, brought the mattress downstairs and began an unplanned date night...in the kitchen...while he used our wet vac to try to save her mattress. Good times. Good times. So we looked at each other and said the inevitable...We're not going. We are both so extremely bummed about this. Elle has felt bad for most of the afternoon today but seemed to be doing better as bed time came around. We are going on day #9 of her not feeling good. I've felt a little puny through this, but nothing like her, and Ava seemed to only be down for one day. Shawn has been pretty tired lately too, but I'm thinking, it's just taking care of all this! Levi is bebopping along with a snotty nose, but happy as a clam as long as you don't bring that suction bulb near him, or heaven forbid attempt to wipe his nose. So, anyway, we are staying home this weekend and we can think of a few positives, but would rather have a pity party...anyone want to join? A twin mattress in our kitchen at 1:45 am

We are officially overflowing with Sprite, Pedialyte(which everyone refuses to drink), apples, bananas, toast, and waffles

This is what I handed Shawn when he began the process of trying to bathe her. I could see that he was going to lose it and this seemed to help. I truly think I saw something like this on TV when people were dealing dead or dying people. You smear Vicks inside the mask and then that's all you can smell. No joke, but it worked for him.

We are now planning on going to the Belton Lights, which wasn't going to happen if we were in AR. It all depends on if Elle can feel good enough for long enough to actually GO! On top of everything else, she missed her Christmas party at school today. I felt bad for her so I went out and bought some Christmas project kits that were all half off and we did some today and will do some more all the way up till Christmas. Really all I can hope for now is for everyone to be well by the 24th. Other than the Belton Lights, the other thing on the agenda is to have Levi's picture taken with Santa! I am trying to find cheap or free and that's getting harder and harder to do. Here's a few pictures from around the house as we anticipate and enjoy the last 8 days before Christmas.

The tiny treasure I found at Goodwill today. I love the vintage look of it.


Ava's crafty tree and her mad scissor skills. She was SO proud!

Elle's math homework

Got these candy canes at Hobby Lobby today. They were kind of in a pile of trash and broken stuff and had no price so I got them all for a dollar :)

1 comment:

Lesley said...

The vapor rub in the mask is certainly no joke. I use it, or eucalyptus oil, all the time at work----Chad