Friday, October 03, 2008

Cabin, Sweet Cabin

After driving for what seemed like 2,885 hours, we finally arrived at The Bent Nail. But, it wasn't without incident. To put it lightly, our first hour there wasn't as peaceful as I had been dreaming in my head. In my head I had the idea that we'd pull up to the cabin and the girls would jump out cheering sweetly about being at the most wonderful place on earth. Then we'd all head inside and magically all of that stuff that had been weighing our car down for 3 days would appear in the cabin. Then I, Miss Stewart, would whip up a delicious first meal to really bring the whole vacation to a wonderful point. But, then reality and life kicked back in. About 10 miles before we got to the cabin Elle started really complaining about her stomach hurting. Then she got pale and that's never a good sign. They can fake whine, but they can't get fake pale. So, we pulled over where she promptly and ever so politely puked into a Walmart bag, which we left on the side of the road....sorry New Mexico. We got back in, so close to our dream, and she started feeling bad again. The roads I'm sure didn't help...they are bumpy to put it gently (no pun intended). .....(Okay yes, pun intended...I LOVE PUNS!) Anyway we made it to the cabin and she was pale again. We got inside and she immediately laid down at the entrance of the cabin and fell asleep...never a good sign with a 4 year old. Meanwhile, Ava was in heaven! She was running around like a crazy person, jumping on all the furniture and squealing with excitement....very cute to watch. I proceeded to begin that lovely dinner which was spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread. About halfway through cooking the meat I went to wash my hands.....no water....none....zip....zilch....you get the point. I began to panic. Shawn looked high and low for a water valve to turn on but could find nothing. All the while dinner is getting closer to being ready and we need water! He proceeds to call about 5 people who might know how to get in contact with the caretakers of this cabin and FINALLY when dinner is just about ready, he gets the answer...flip the breaker to the water pump. oh. About that time Elle pukes again but less than before and then seems to feel a little bit better. Semi calm is restored and Shawn, me and Ava eat a yummy first meal while Elle tries to recover from whatever took a hold of her stomach. The rest of the night is much calmer...though I was seriously concerned that maybe God was trying to tell me I shouldn't have come.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

It's funny that Shawn called Chad about the water thing...and maybe a lesson in why the wives should communicate directly to each other...I had the number that y'all needed in my phone. But Chad didn't ask me.

erin said...

Was Elle carsick? If so I can so relate. I've actually used the barf bags on airplanes.

Just Me said...

Funny! we have a saying in our family that if at least one kid isn't sick during our trip it just isn't a real vacation! Hope you had fun!

Anonymous said...

Elle sorry but you may have got some of that from my genes:( Oh well you get to turn green sometimes too and everyone looks at you funny! Love, Nana