We went from a calm week ahead, to LOTS to do, with one little letter sent home the other day. Elle tried out for Historian of Student Council a few weeks ago. First, anyone interested, reads a short speech in front of a panel. There were 34 kids that wanted to be Historian! Next, we waited to see if Elle would be one of the four chosen to speak to the 3rd-5th grade a week later, in hopes of being elected. She was one of the four! So a calm week turned into a whirlwind week of making posters, making T-shirts, and writing speeches!
We started with making posters.
Then it was on to t-shirts.
Elle's motto was "Make History! Vote Elle for Historian"
Finally, this past Friday morning, it was time to give her speech. She wasn't really nervous at all. She absolutely amazed me with her calm and confidence. I don't know if there's anything more important for survival for a girl than confidence.
Here's Elle and Emmy, her campaign manager.
So, the tallies were counted....and she didn't get Historian. But, because she was a finalist, she will for sure be on Student Council. She was a little disappointed, but it's a good lesson for her and will only make her stronger!
Moving on to other subjects. Shawn and I along with our friend Sloan, ran the ROC (Ridiculous Obstacle Race) last weekend. There were 12 inflatable obstacles over 3.2 miles. Everything went great till mile 2. I jumped up on one of the obstacles, landing on my knees on the inflatable, and instead of bouncing, I landed on something that felt like steel. No give whatsoever, injuring my knee. I thought for sure I had really screwed it up big time. I hobbled through the last mile somehow and have spent the last week rehabing myself. I can walk mostly normal again, but am still have some problems with it. I am hopeful that time will heal it. Still a pretty fun race. I am wanting to start running again, but am sidelined for who knows how long, until this knee is stable again.
Changing subjects again, this picture explains why we either A) Eat sweets in the pantry with the light off and the door closed, if the kids are awake, or B) wait until the kids are asleep to eat any sweets. Shawn was eating a few spoonfuls of melted chocolate that I had used in making some cookies and in swoops the vultures circling around for a spoonful for themselves!
And lastly, here's how I spent this past Saturday morning....making money! We planned this garage sale for at least two months and the weather Saturday was MARVELOUS! We were able to get rid of plenty of items and make some money that will go to some home improvement projects...or bills and food. It's a toss up.











No comments:
Post a Comment