Before I even became a mom, I knew one of the main goals I wanted to strive for is having children that had a good sense of independence and confidence. I knew it was probably going to be harder for me than them, to let them become independent. Yesterday was a BIG step in that direction for Elle and us. Paul and Carolyn came down for the day on their way to San Antonio to see the girls and celebrate Elle's bday. They had a wonderful time together and Elle got to pick out her birthday present all by herself. She picked out a Barbie "laptop". It's not a real computer but it does the alphabet and some games and such. She also picked out something that makes my heart swell with pride! She picked out a bow and arrow/indian "kit" and some rubber snakes! I am just so proud of her. Finally she is breaking away just a little from all the pink! Although I love all that girly stuff for her, I was the girl who asked Santa for G I Joe's...and got them! I'm glad to see her diversifying. Anyway, now for the big part. She went with Paul and Carolyn to check into the hotel they stayed at last night, and on her own came up with the plan to spend the night with them! She begged me like she has never begged for anything before! After much explaining that I wouldn't be there to tuck her in and that there would be no coming home no matter how sad she possibly got, she was still begging and acting very confident with what she wanted to do. I wanted to say yes right away, but Shawn was having a little bit of a tough time. I told him it would be so good for her independence and would get her a step closer to sleep overs with friends and it didn't take much convincing...he knew it was a good idea....it's just hard to give up control. Anyway, we sent her off for the night with Papaw and Carolyn. This morning around 10 they came back with a happy smiling little girl who was happy to see us but pretty much just as happy to see our neighbors who were out front with us. Of course it gives just a little pinch to my heart that she took another step away from us, but it makes me so so glad that she felt confident enough to be without us! Carolyn said that the only time she even mentioned anything at all was right as they were saying prayers and such and she said "I miss my mommy and daddy" and Carolyn said "It's okay to miss mommy and daddy but it just makes it that much sweeter when you see them again." Good answer and Elle said, "Okay" and that was the end of missing us! Yeah Elle!
Friday, March 14, 2008
Independence
Before I even became a mom, I knew one of the main goals I wanted to strive for is having children that had a good sense of independence and confidence. I knew it was probably going to be harder for me than them, to let them become independent. Yesterday was a BIG step in that direction for Elle and us. Paul and Carolyn came down for the day on their way to San Antonio to see the girls and celebrate Elle's bday. They had a wonderful time together and Elle got to pick out her birthday present all by herself. She picked out a Barbie "laptop". It's not a real computer but it does the alphabet and some games and such. She also picked out something that makes my heart swell with pride! She picked out a bow and arrow/indian "kit" and some rubber snakes! I am just so proud of her. Finally she is breaking away just a little from all the pink! Although I love all that girly stuff for her, I was the girl who asked Santa for G I Joe's...and got them! I'm glad to see her diversifying. Anyway, now for the big part. She went with Paul and Carolyn to check into the hotel they stayed at last night, and on her own came up with the plan to spend the night with them! She begged me like she has never begged for anything before! After much explaining that I wouldn't be there to tuck her in and that there would be no coming home no matter how sad she possibly got, she was still begging and acting very confident with what she wanted to do. I wanted to say yes right away, but Shawn was having a little bit of a tough time. I told him it would be so good for her independence and would get her a step closer to sleep overs with friends and it didn't take much convincing...he knew it was a good idea....it's just hard to give up control. Anyway, we sent her off for the night with Papaw and Carolyn. This morning around 10 they came back with a happy smiling little girl who was happy to see us but pretty much just as happy to see our neighbors who were out front with us. Of course it gives just a little pinch to my heart that she took another step away from us, but it makes me so so glad that she felt confident enough to be without us! Carolyn said that the only time she even mentioned anything at all was right as they were saying prayers and such and she said "I miss my mommy and daddy" and Carolyn said "It's okay to miss mommy and daddy but it just makes it that much sweeter when you see them again." Good answer and Elle said, "Okay" and that was the end of missing us! Yeah Elle!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Way to go Elle. We are looking forward to when your mom & dad will let you come and stay with us for a couple days. We will have so much fun you won't miss them at all!
Yay for Elle! And for mom and dad too!
i can understand the mixed emotions...but that is awesome she can do that! you'll appreciate it in years to come. :)
also, yay for less pink!! ;) i'm not the girlyest girl either.
Goody, now she can stay with us sometimes!! Love, Nana
Post a Comment