Sunday, March 02, 2008

Inks Lake State Park and the Central Texas Ground Raisins

Well, Friday we headed to S.P. #2. Inks Lake by all accounts of the map promised to be "the place" for all our tent camping desires. It seemed huge, with lots of camping spots and many playgrounds. We went ahead and bought a Texas State Park pass so now all state parks are free for whoever is in the car with us when we go!!! So, as soon as we drove into the state park, I knew it wasn't going to be the one. As I should have figured out, it was full of central Texas style landscaping....squatty trees and tons of Cedar. I am fine with that kind of landscaping, but not when I'm trying to recreate a "woodsy" type of camping experiment. All of the campsites were "under a magnifier" in my mind. No tree cover meaning no shade and no privacy. Some of the sites were sandwiched on two sides by asphalt. Why would someone want to camp pretty much in between two roads? Anyway, we did have a good time as far as day trips go, but I would never tent camp there! There were some wonderful secluded spots for fishing, but we didn't have any luck with that. We tried! Now onto the most interesting part of the day. At lunch we headed to a totally unprivate, out in the open, seriously in the middle of a field, picnic table to eat our goodies. We let Ava wander around while she ate, because that's her favorite way to do that and it's just easier than trying to make her sit at a picnic table. So she was picking things up off the ground a lot and I was trying to watch to make sure she didn't get anything gross. I looked away for a few seconds and when I looked back, she had a weird look on her face and seemed to be munching something. I ran over to her and immediately began screaming....like everyone at the State Park probably thought we were being attacked by a bear or something. My precious daughter had picked up some free (isn't that nice of the state park?) ground raisins and was eating them.....I believe they also go by the name of deer poop. I FREAKED! I mean really FREAKED! As I was scraping them out of her mouth, I began screaming even more, because of the fact that it was now on my finger. I could hear Shawn laughing in the background as I continued screaming. Ava thought she had eaten poison or something since I was about 3 inches from her face, digging in her mouth and screaming all at the same time. I am still grossed out like no other, when I think about it. But, on a positive note, I can add that to the ever growing list of things Ava has attempted to eat....I'm pretty sure that's the grossest. Well....hopefully this weekend, we will try out McKiney State Park, which I think might actually be a pretty good one.
Checking out a bug...so fascinating!
Super Dad carrying both girls down a steep rocky hill.




Throwing rocks in the water...never gets old.



Wiping the "raisins" out of her mouth

Just in case you wanted to see those free "raisins"


A frog we saw as we were getting ready to leave

Both girls were entranced by the frog....but from about 2 feet away and not an inch closer!

17 comments:

erin said...

Ewww! Actually, thanks. Now I don't feel so bad about the time I looked up after a basketball game and Kellen was at the top of the stands eating somebody's leftover nachos.

Lesley said...

That is hilarious and disgusting. I can't wait to give Ava a hard time about that for the rest of her life...especially saying things to her husband like "So how does it feel to kiss a person who voluntarily ate deer poop?" I hope my mom doesn't read this. She will freak too.

emma said...

Well you can tell Denise that I've freaked out enough for everyone. I still shiver when I think about it...so disgusting. Major mental hurdle to kiss Ava after that.

emma said...

p.s. erin that is hilarious!

Alissa said...

Ok, I have to admit. When I posted the comment on the Bastrop SP post, I said that Inks Lake was "really great." I was only going off of other people's comments to me. I haven't been there since I was a kid. Sorry if I was the one that steered you wrong. But Pace Bend Park is pretty good. It is on the lake and the camp sites are a good distance apart from each other.

Emily said...

Oh, that is so funny. Ava is the adventurous one. After eating bugs and poop everything else should taste great. Glad you guys get to go and have day trips sounds like fun.

emma said...

It's not your fault Alissa. We already had it in mind to try and according to the map it looked like it was really great. Oh well, they have all been good day trip places. That's why we are picnicing for the day before staying for a whole night. :)

Anonymous said...

Everyone deserves to have a "Ava" in their family. It is amazing what kids will survie. Glad you are able to have family time. That is so important. love

Anonymous said...

Chad ate dog food once if that makes you feel any better. Actually, I think he needs to be reminded of that pretty soon...

Denise said...

I read it.

Denise said...

I freaked.

Denise said...

Of course, I did find Erin with half a cricket hanging out of her mouth once. But lots of people eat bugs.

Anonymous said...

Shawn ate dog food when he was little but if I remember correctly Ava has too. :)

emma said...

dog food and deer poop are not comparable people!

emma said...

maybe the wet kind of dog food but not the dry stuff...that's nothing.

Lisa said...

I'm still laughing out loud. HARD! I don't think this is quite as bad, but I'll admit that I did find Rachel with half a baby roach in her mouth - the other half was squashed in her hand. The good news is that no chewing had commenced. Sounds like you had some chewing going on there - I'm with Lesley, this is going to be a great conversation starter when she's older. Looking forward to more state park stories!

Lauren Hope said...

ewww! i have decided NOT to read your blog around any food-eating time...just in case!
woof! yuk! and any other disgusting exclamatory you can make...but a good story nonetheless. :)