Saturday, March 08, 2008

Third Times a Charm

Yesterday we headed to McKinney Falls State Park. It is the closest state park, I think, which is about 15 miles from the Capital and about 45 minutes drive from our house. It's just about a straight shot down I35. Well as you can tell by the title, it's a keeper. I was a little wary at first because I knew it wasn't too far from the Austin airport so I thought there would be a noise issue, but I only noticed a few airplane noises and only because I was really trying to hear them. We LOVED this state park. It felt very woodsy and secluded. For it being a Saturday it wasn't overly crowded but that may be because it's been VERY cold here the past 2 nights. Anyway, there is tons of trails to explore and many are somewhat paved which makes it easier with a toddler. Lots of water stuff too...and the kind of water I think I'd be okay wading in. The water areas are quite safe for kids too because the bed of the river is made of rock so the water is quite shallow and not muddy on bottom. The tent camping areas were WONDERFUL! We started out trying to jot down the ones we liked for when we come back to go camping, but there were so many good ones, we just quit! They are all pretty secluded with very good tree coverage. None are very close to each other and they are all a ways off the road. Exactly what we had been hoping for. We will definately be trying out our new tent in the very near future...hopefully in the next few weeks the burn ban will be lifted and we'll have a fire. Anyway here's pics from today.

Amazing pic....both girls looking at the camera and sort of smiling!




Daddy taught Elle to climb a tree
Then of course Ava had to try

My almost four year old!

What a big girl sitting at the picnic table and she's my almost 18 month old!


Now THIS is a picnic area...no ground raisins either!




Standard picnic picture


A flower for mommy





Sitting over the edge...Ava wasn't too fond of the loud fast moving water being that close to her.


Elle thought it was great!






The trail leading to the lower falls

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Very nice. We should go there again when we come visit you in April.

Anonymous said...

I think you are right this one is a keeper. Looks like a lot of fun. Elle looks so big in that picture by herself. love

Lauren Hope said...

love the post and the pictures! great job!
elle looks beautiful in the pic by the tree!