Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Book Worm
I need my readers to make a real live comment....I am getting ready for a 12 hour drive to New Mexico and back as well as two weeks of no TV and hanging out while my kids take a nap so I need some good reading material. The kind of books I like are anything fast paced (Dean Koontzish), fictional historical biography type stuff (The Life of a Geisha) (I think that's what that was called?), any real life stories that are not long and drawn out when they don't need to be (Into the Wild). So, do some thinking and leave me a few of your favorites. Thanks a million!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Since you don't read books twice I can't recommend any of mine that you took! You should have had be bring more when we came! Here goes:
Nora Roberts - non cheesy romance, very fast paced
Vince Flynn - political thrillers (some language though)
Anne Perry - victorian murder mysteries (look for ones with The Pitt family)
Nicolas Sparks - The Notebook, but they're all wonderful, try The Wedding, it make ME cry!
And Patricia Cornwell (again some language) - she's the medical examiner for Virginia and works for the FBI behavioral unit
They sell all these at Wal-Mart and 1/2 Price Books. I love all these readers so it's hard to narrow it down!
OK, seriously should have spell checked. 1st, the be should be me in the second line and 2nd, readers should be authors in the next to last line. Uh.
Emma,
Here are some of my favorites. Look them up on Amazon to check out the reader reviews.
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Based on real life characters Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving. It made me laugh out loud and cry.
A couple of mysteries by Austin writer Mary Willis Walker:
Zero at the Bone
The Red Scream
You can usually get these in paperback in the mystery section at Half Price books.
A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini
Lesley just read these and liked them.
The Life and Times of the Last Kid Picked by David Benjamin
Funny memoir
The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan
The story of the Dust Bowl.
Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
Avenger by Frederick Forsyth
Books by author Joseph Finder. Corporate thrillers. Great plots, but a LOT of profanity.
You have probably seen the movies, but John Grisham's first book, A Time to Kill, is really good. Also, as I remember, the book version of The Firm is different from the movie.
Well, I could go on and on. So I won't.
Enjoy your trip and the time at Blue Haven.
Denise
Ok, here's what I have been reading lately.
Everything by Francine Rivers, especially her Mark of the Lion Series--it's historical, religious fiction. It follows a young Jewish/Christian girl, a Roman citizen, and a Gladiator during and after the conquest of Jerusalem by Rome.
Her other books are all great, too.
The Last Sin Eater, Redeeming Love (couldn't stop crying in that one), The Atonement Child, And The Shofar Blew (about the wife of a young preacher that starts depending on himself instead of God, and all that that entails)
The Oath by Frank Peretti; it's really creepy and suspenseful.
I have read a bunch of Nicolas Sparks. They are good for a quick, sweet read, but they are all the same. Sappy and sweet! Great...if you are into that.
Have a great time at camp!
Good to see that mom already commented. I have Zero at the Bone and both Khaled Housseini books if you can wait until Blue Haven to get them. Then, you'll have something to read while you're there! We will be there on Sunday...I'm so excited! But it will be weird to be at a one week sesson again. See y'all in a week and a half!
Well, this may or may not be what you are looking for, but recently we have all been reading the prequel trilogy to Peter Pan called Peter and the Starcatchers. It was great, and you can read it aloud to kids for entertainment. I have an old fave called The Hot Zone (not racy, about viruses) which i love. I have to say most of my reading has been juvenile lit but it is really fun to read. We have liked Sign of the Beaver, Julie of the WOlves, The Toothpaste Millionaire, Understood Betsy, The Phantom Tollbooth, Tuck Everlasting, Because of WinnDixie and The Westing Game. HAve Fun!
Well, this may or amy not be what you are looking for, but recently we have all been reading the prequel trilogy to Peter Pan called Peter and the Starcatchers. It was great, and you can read it aloud to kids for entertainment. I have an old fave called The Hot Zone (not racy, about viruses) which i love. I have to say most of my reading has been juvenile lit but it is really fun to read. We have liked Sign of the Beaver, Julie of the WOlves, The Toothpaste Millionaire, Understood Betsy, The Phantom Tollbooth, Tuck Everlasting, Because of WinnDixie and The Westing Game. HAve Fun!
One book I couldn't put down (this was several years ago) was Ironfire by David Ball. Also, The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye. Both of those are historical novels. And I echo what Mom said about Lonesome Dove. It will make you laugh out loud.
I guess you can get a lot of reading done if you don't get carsick. Have fun!
Check out the author Jodi Picoult..."Keeping Faith" is one I have read. She has a different slant on writting. Also I think she wrote "Lovely Bones",and "9 Minutes"...She keeps my attention. If you have not read "Glass Castle" that is good too. Love Mom-----Be safe!
Emma,
One I've read recently that left a huge impression on me is "The Same Kind of Different". It is a wonderful nonfiction book that tells the story of... well I won't say. You'll have to read it. It's always the first book I say when someone asks about a good book.
Another really good nonfiction one that is really inspiring and faith building is "When I Lay My Isaac Down."
One more, "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Soldier Boy" by Ishmael Beah
See you at Blue Haven!!!
Post a Comment