Monday, June 02, 2008
Miss Independent
I have found that as time goes on in a marriage and as a mother, that you become very co-dependent on your spouse and children. Long gone are the days of having to walk into somewhere by yourself and feel a bit anxious that you're a table-of-oner. Any social situation you walk into isn't nearly as scary with a baby on your hip....but also you loose all ability to do things independently without anxiety. OK maybe this is just me, but I have a feeling other people are like this too. Anyway, I broke out of my co-dependent existence this past Saturday evening. The chamber of commerce was supporting an Art in the Park festival this whole week. Saturday was the opening night. They had a symphony playing under a gazebo, and they were playing the works of Mendelssohn. The evening was to be capped with a big fireworks show and the best part.....FREE! Well, it started at 8 pm and there were two problems. My kids go to bed at 8 and my husband wanted to watch a live Fight Night for the UFC that started at 8 so it was either go alone or stay home. I got there just as the orchestra was warming up. The weather was DELICIOUS! It felt so wonderful. I was at the very back of a large crowd of people sitting on the grass and decided to worm my way up close to see if there were any spots of grass left up close....turns out everyone must have thought they was no room up front and were all gathering in the back. I found a huge area of grass in the perfect location in front of the orchestra. The music was spectacular. It sounds so much more rich when it's live! After about 1 1/2 hours of listening to the music, the orchestra took their final bow and a man announced that "The best fireworks display you've ever seen" would be happening shortly. I though "yeah, we'll see about that..." I had overheard a couple next to me saying that they were going to move to another spot where they could see the fireworks better. I decided to follow. I didn't know where the fireworks were going to be shooting off, so I just decided to hope I was in a good spot. When the fireworks started I realized that I could not have gotten a better seat. Very few people had known to move up to this spot so I was sort of alone. I was probably about 30 feet from where the fireworks were shooting. They were incredible! I thought the finale was happening 2 or 3 times before it actually did. It was probably the best display I've ever seen and certainly the closest I've ever been to one! I saw lots of new fireworks that I've never seen before. It was exhilarating!!! Afterwards I headed to my car and even though there were hundreds of people there, I was out of the traffic is about 3 minutes. I felt so refreshed after taking a few hours to be alone. It was so nice to enjoy something and have no one taking my attention away or whining, or crying, or begging! I do love my children and husband but for my sanity, I think this was necessary and wonderful!!! Sorry there are no pictures, but the dork stops here with taking pictures of myself in large crowds of people!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm glad y'all live in a place that has so many things to do that are fun for both you and Shawn and the girls.
There's nothing better than alone time - even if it's buying groceries...by yourself...for 2 hours!
Hey what fun. I am proud of you for going anyway. Alone can be fun and you find out that you really like yourself. :)
Also the image of you asking some complete strangers, "Hey, can you take a picture of me?" Just made me laugh out loud.
If anyone would do it, it'd be me...but even that was too far to go for a picture.
Post a Comment