Monday, October 26, 2015

Rainpocalypse Campout

This past weekend, Central Texas and really many of the Southern states endured a weather pattern that dumped up to 20 inches of rain in some areas.  Our town saw around 10 inches of rain between Friday night and Sunday morning, which just so happened to be the exact time our Girl Scout Troop had planned a camp out.  It was an "experience" for sure.  I know my girls had a great time and I truly did laugh a lot with the other troop leaders....but I REALLY missed being in my bed on Saturday morning when it was dark and rainy and chilly.  Either way, I soothe myself with the knowledge that I am going to buy myself a patch to make me feel better for enduring a very wet, chilly, not too comfortable weekend. 

 Boy do I love my troop.  

Thankfully, when we arrived, the rain hadn't begun yet so it was kind of pleasant outside.  We still had enough light to see our surrounding and enjoy the place.

Time for dinner!

 We knew what the weather was supposed to be like, so we hurried up and broke out all the S'Mores supplies and went to town on the camp stove!

 I am officially always in charge of bringing Peeps to "enhance" the S'Mores experience.  The tombstone Peeps were REALLY good! 

Saturday morning, we woke up to...rain, of course.  The two Brownies that came on the trip were in charge of helping with the meals while we were there.  One of those Brownies was Ava.  For breakfast we had pancakes and sausage.  Ava had a bit of an "incident" with the shake and pour pancake batter.  I'm thankful that she packed extra clothes.

After breakfast, we all decided to test out our rain gear or lack thereof with a little hike.

We made some snack mix to take.

 Then we took a group picture out in the rain.  Our troop is quite a bit bigger than this, but these were the only ones crazy brave enough to camp in the Rainpocalypse.

The four amigos....all of us just fit together well!  Lots of laughter to make up for the yucky rain!

Our hike begins....all is well and we are mostly dry.

Our poncho isn't working too well....the soaking begins.

It's raining hard and the wind is flipping some umbrellas.

Just keep going....Just keep going...

I had to take this picture because I captured a very rare sight.  Elle put her arm around Ava and shared her umbrella because Ava was just getting so wet and miserable.  ELLE.CARED.FOR AVA. Mark it in the books people.

Fun soggy friends!

We were all soaked through and cold by the time we returned from our hike.  The only way we could lure the girls away from sadness was with the promise of hot chocolate, with Peeps!  All was well again.

After everyone was warm again, we went to work making seed balls for an upcoming planting event that our troop is going to do.  

 These six girls and four moms were able to roll out about 1,200 seed balls in just a little while.  I can't wait to see how the area we spread them in looks in the Springtime.
 
 After that, we burned designs into the wooden stakes that will be used to mark where the wildflowers are growing.

Girls, at least the ones I'm around, don't follow "gender" rules at all.  They spent much of Saturday afternoon wrestling with each other all over the sleeping bags.  Cabin fever had set in.

Time for dinner!  We had spaghetti, meatballs and garlic bread.  It was yummy!

Then we celebrated our Troop Leaders birthday, which was Sunday morning.  We gave her cupcakes and fun little gifts.  Later that evening, we broke out the DVD player and let the girls watch the new Cinderella movie (which isn't something we'd usually do, but did I mention we had a little rain?).

Sunday morning I couldn't get up and packed fast enough.  I had my eye on the prize...a hot shower and dry clothes!  (oh and church by 9:30!)  

No comments: