Friday, May 23, 2008

Our 9th Anniversary


Tuesday night as I was about to drift off to sleep, Shawn asked if I was still awake and wanted me to turn over so he could tell me something...I got suspicious...that's all I'll say. Anyway, he proceeded to tell me that I needed to pack my bags the next day because after church, we were headed on a surprise anniversary trip!!! I was so excited!!! We were headed to Austin to spend the night on Wednesday and then we'd drive down to New Braunfels for a day of rafting on the river! Then that night we'd go to a place a few block from our hotel in downtown Austin called the Alamo Drafthouse. They serve dinner while you watch a movie. Remember that it's around 10:30 PM and I was just about to fall asleep. Needless to say, I did not sleep well at all that night. Wednesday I spent the day cleaning a little, doing laundry, trying to pack and preparing the girls for life without me for a day.(I have to do that to everyone who comes in contact with me ;)

After church Wednesday nite we took the girls home with Gramme and tucked them in bed and couldn't leave fast enough! We stayed in the Marriot in downtown Austin in a room that usually costs $230 a night which we got for $50 a night because of a friend that works in the hotel business!!!! Thursday morning we woke up early and headed south to the Guadalupe. We got an 8 ft raft and took a 3 1/2 hour ride down the river. There were a few scary parts...particularly because I insisted on taking my camera and I was willing to do anything to keep that camera dry. After baking in the sun and wandering around downtown Gruene, we headed back to our hotel to get cleaned up and then brave 6th Street in Austin....it's truly like New Orlean's Bourbon Street....scary after dark and even a bit scary when it's not dark. We went to the Alamo Drafthouse and watched Iron Man which surprisingly was quite good...maybe only one cuss word and just a good movie! The food was delicious too. Then we quickly scurried back to our hotel so as not to get mugged or anything. This morning as we got ready to come back to reality, we had two last stops. Since we were about 4 blocks from the Capitol, we went and toured the inside which I'd never seen...very neat inside. Then we went to a quilt store I've been wanting to hit up and bought some wonderful fabric for me to start a quilt. This will be the 3rd quilt and biggest I've made...it's going to be throw size and I'm LOVING the fabric!
This trip was a wonderful way to celebrate our anniversary and Shawn did an amazing job....he picked things to do that are just the kind of stuff I like. This is the one time I don't mind bragging...I'm so proud of us for making it 9 years together...it has been HARD! but it's so nice to have that person that you know is going to stick by you in spite of yourself! I had so much fun and this will be a wonderful memory to remember forever. By the way, thank you thank you thank you Gramme! for allowing us this alone time...it was much needed!

The quilt fabrics...I could eat them up!...but that wouldn't work well with my IBS.

Outside the Alamo Drafthouse




The Capitol

Overlooking the House of Representatives

Getting ready to raft





Can you tell we love our self timer? This spot is close to where we ate lunch


9 years together....and better looking than ever!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are welcome and it was my pleasure to keep those sweet girls. We had our own party and it was fun. love you

Alissa said...

Happy 9th! It just seems like yesterday, (but also an entire lifetime) that we both got married way back in 1999! I'm glad you had a great time, maybe you can get Shawn to let Jeff in on some great planning for HIS wife! LOL! BTW...there is an Alamo in North Austin, too. It's at 183 and Lake Creek Blvd., not too far from G-town, if you want to do it again soon. I just love Alamo, it's perfect when you want to do everything but don't want to pay a babysitter for more than 2.5 hrs! heehee I'm so cheap! congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Shawn and Emma - 9 years - whoo, I don't know how he puts up with you! It was great talking to you today and we can't wait for our trip to see you guys!

Lauren Hope said...

way to go shawn, way to go - woot woot! (know the song i'm talking about??) :) happy 9th!!!

p.s. do you really have IBS? :)

emma said...

Alissa, I agree...can't believe it's been 9 years!
Lauren, yes I really have it...it's miserable..I go nowhere without at least one Imodium tablet with me! sorry if it's TMI on the IBS.

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! I am so happy that you had so much fun and that Shawn has grown so much romantically over the last 9 years:| He has done quite well! I suppose he better start planning now, because next year is a big one.

Love you,
Your big sis Laura

Lisa said...

How fun! I'm not sure he'll be able to top that for the big 10 next year. Looks like you guys had a blast, and I'm loving that fabric. Can't wait to see the quilt!