Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Day 6: Notre Dame and Lover's Bridge

Because the church of Christ in Paris had their English service at 5pm, we had the whole day to sight see before heading to worship.  We started at the Cathedral of Notre Dame.  Yet another amazing build that left us unable to understand how human hands could make such intricate detailed designs. 



 
After quietly walking around the entire perimeter of the church, because services were taking place, we were ready to get back outside and seize the day!  But, first I needed to take a picture of these fall leaves.  I love this picture.

We headed to something I'd read about on the Internet called the Lover's Bridge.  Couples have been going there for some time, taking a lock to signify their love, locking it onto the fence on the bridge and tossing the key into the Seine River.  I loved this idea, especially since this was an anniversary trip for us.  So before we left home, I bought the smallest and cheapest two pack of locks I could find.  One would be for the bridge and one would be used for luggage or Shawn's backpack to keep pickpockets at bay.  We each kept a key in case one got lost.  So we came to this area and I was a little unimpressed.  Pictures I'd seen on the Internet showed WAY more locks and this area wasn't really on a bridge but we just figured some of the locks had been cut off or something like that.  We locked our lock on and on a whim, Shawn decided to keep the key just in case we couldn't find mine, since the second lock was on his backpack. Then we keep walking towards our next destination.
 
 .....and came upon the REAL Lover's Bridge!  We both started laughing when we saw it.  THIS is what we had in mind!  It worked well that we had the second lock and that he hadn't thrown the key in the water since I couldn't find my key!  So we were able to lock our second lock on the actual bridge. We were amazed at the number of locks!!!

Ours is the black one right in the middle.

And this time, I threw the key into the Seine!


17 years together...I think it just might stick.

No comments: