Friday, March 14, 2014

Spring Break: Thursday

Thursday morning at the library they were having a Lego Build so Shawn took Levi to that.  He said they spent about a total of 17 minutes there.  I'm thinking Levi and Legos aren't quite a match just yet....maybe in a few years.

I took the girls to a consignment sale, hoping to find them a few spring/summer things.  I can't really buy things for them anymore unless they are with me....well Ava likes just about everything I bring home and Elle doesn't like most of what I bring home unless it's mint colored.  She's a bit obsessed with that color.  Unfortunately the only things they wanted where huge toys that they'd play with for about 12 minutes before it went into our garage sale pile.

After we got home, the kids and I made something called GORP.  I'd never heard of it before but since the week of spring break is always the week the Girl Scouts celebrate Juliette Low's birthday, they give the girls a list of things to do each day in honor of Girl Scout ideals and they get a patch at the end of it.  One of the days talked about researching what GORP was and then making some and sharing it with others.  GORP stands for Good Ol' Raisins and Peanuts a.k.a. trail mix!  The girls and I went to HEB and picked out a few yummy things to add to what we already had at home and came up with a delicious trail mix!


We also went out yesterday and bought the first pieces of a fairy garden that we are going to start.  I just thought it would be something fun, creative and neat that the three of us can work on together and add to, one piece at a time.  We had a lot of fun looking at all the stuff at Hobby Lobby and Michael's and thinking of how we could make those pieces at home.  I'm excited to begin to see it shape up as we get further into spring.  The girls, who already love to do this kind of thing, are thrilled that we are starting one!

Around 4, Paul and Carolyn arrived in town and immediately took the kids for a night in a hotel!  We were so excited to have a date with no feelings of needing to rush back home so the babysitter could leave.  We decided to brave Austin during the SXSW week and eat at Shady Grove.  It's been in Austin for a long time and the atmosphere was great, the waiter was great, the food was mediocre.  Oh well, we still got to sit and talk uninterrupted for at least 45 minutes which is longer than we've had, all of 2014.

Then Shawn took me to the coolest (and highest) point in Austin, called Mount Bonnell.  It was just sort of tucked into a neighborhood.  It was so pretty and cool!

We saw a first....A group of 5 airplanes were making a large circle in the sky and making numbers with their airplane streams (?)...we finally figured out they were making the number for pi...and then figured out that either yesterday or today was pi day????  Don't really know what all that is, but google could figure it out for me if I cared enough.  It was cool to watch though.

Such a neat and beautiful place!

We ended the night somewhere that I just can't resist when I'm in Austin....Gordough's.  We ordered our favorite; the Funky Monkey and it didn't disappoint!

No comments: