Tuesday, June 24, 2014

While the Kittens are Away.......

.......the mice shall play!!!!  It's time for another much anticipated by both parties, Camp Grandparents for our kids!  We've been doing this for three or four years.  It started with just Elle the first year.  Eventually, Ava was old enough to go, and this year all three headed away for the week!  (I don't think I can use enough exclamation points! throughout! this! blogpost! to! accurately! convey! just! how! excited! I! am! about! all! three! going!!!)  It's one thing to go on a vacation without your kids but it's a whole other level of awesomeness when your kids go on the trip and leave you at home.  It has been glorious!!!  Shawn and I have been chronicling our daily fun while the kids are gone.  I only hope they are having as much fun as we are!

We started the trip on edge.  Levi woke up Thursday morning with a fever...of course.  No fever for months and then a fever before the most exciting day of the century.  He was still running fever on Friday morning, when we were suppose to meet Gramme.  He had no other symptoms, acted fine, and it was pretty low.  So we packed him and packed the thermometer and agreed that when we went to drop of the kids, we'd check again and make a decision.

We decided 99.5 was fine and crossed our fingers (actually we begged God) for the fever to not affect him, not be contagious, and to go away quickly!  He looks too mature in this picture.  Suitcase in one hand, blankie in the other and ready to conquer the world!  (At the writing of this post, 5 days later....still hadn't heard much from him...I am thankful he's independent! oh and no fever  :)

One more picture on a very sunny Friday and the kids were off!  As excited as I was about a week without kids, it was a little hard to let go of my whole life....but I knew they were in good hands and I knew they were so very excited about Camp Grandparents!

This picture makes me annoyed.  I really wasn't hungry for lunch after we left the kids, but Shawn was so I told him to pick wherever.  And where did my husband pick as the place to go for our first meal without kids? McDonalds.  Seriously? I haven't eaten there in a long time and so I got the smallest cheapest thing I could find and guess what?  McDonalds is still disgusting....but we did get lunch for two for $5.15. 

As we headed back down the interstate we saw a big sign that said "Barn Sale!"  Since we were footloose and fancy free, we followed the sign and four miles to the west later, we found our first ever barn sale in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere.

I thought that this book on top of all this junk was ironic.  I can usually sniff out at least one cool thing at every garage sale I go to, and this was like 20 garage sales combined....but I have never seen so much absolutely worthless junk in my life.  But it was fun to be spontaneous and declare our independence!

The first order of business upon returning home, was to do grocery shopping for meals for the week.  Done.
 
That evening (yes this is all still in the same day!) we headed to a Round Rock Baseball Game.  I've been wanting to go to one again for a while.  We haven't been to one since Ava was a baby so I wanted to go again.  This was also Fireworks Friday which honestly was the main reason I was excited to go...oh and the food too.  We had great seats in the homerun sections, lots of balls that came pretty close, and good food.  The game itself was super boring.  I did have the best hotdog of my life which I am now trying to duplicate and I got to eat funnel cake which I've been craving for a while.  The fireworks were pretty wonderful as usual, but we've both decided that unless a bunch of friends are going and we have super cheap or free tickets, we're pretty much done with baseball....we were bored.
And that concludes day one of "Operations: While the Kittens are Away."

No comments: