Touchdown! After the long flight, we landed at 7:15 am London time....which to us was 1:15 am. Before we did anything at all, we walked to the first shop that sold coffee and bought ourselves one.
Then we took our first Underground (those most of it was overground) towards our hotel. Shawn decided to study the map to see how to get to our hotel.
After walking in circles for about 30 minutes we FINALLY found our hotel. We dropped off our bags and made a bee-line for the British Museum, only a few blocks from where we stayed. Probably to many "cultured" people's dismay, we covered the museum in record time. It was wonderful to see, and I wish we could have taken a guide, but we were through quicker than I think we should have been! Here's a photo of the actual Rosetta Stone.
After the British Museum, we headed back to our hotel to do the actual check-in and changed out of our travel clothes. (More pictures of our room on Day 3, I think!)
Russel Station Underground was the one closest to our hotel so it was our starting and finishing place on many days.
The day was still young...though we were quickly fading, so we decided to go ahead all the way across the city and see Big Ben and Westminster Abby since this would be our only chance to see the Abby during our stay.
The time keeper with the Keeper of Time.
Westminster Abby...which we weren't allowed to take pictures inside of...amazing.
We dragged ourselves back to the hotel, so ready to go to sleep...yet needing to stay awake until at least 9:30 London time so that we could talk to our kids at 3:30pm their time. Altogether, we were awake 33 hours before going to bed. We think that (not going to bed or taking a nap until it was time according to London time) along with those pills helped our jet lag. We slept VERY well that night!









2 comments:
I love that last picture of you! This is SO cool! I'm excited to experience some of Europe through your pictures.
Yes, don't worry about too much detail. I remember loving the British museum but W. Abbey was closed for renovations when we were there, and I still regret not getting to see that. I have a theory that whatever you do first after a long flight takes the least amount of time to see, because you're exhausted and excited at the same time...so maybe that's why you sped through the British museum. Loving the posts!
Post a Comment